The first school in New Haven was built downtown in 1885. The first true high school was built in 1923 and was officially called the Adams-Township school, although everyone referred to it as New Haven school. It accommodated kindergarten through 12th grade. In the 1940s a separate building was put up next to this school to house the elementary grades. In the 1955 and 1957 additions were made to the high school to allow for the growing student population. To further aid with the growth a middle school was built across the street on the high school’s football field and track. (Goeglein)
Soon enough it was time to build a new high school. The high school moved to a piece of land across the highway. The middle school moved into the old high school and the elementary moved into the middle school. The elementary is now used for offices and has a newly renovated auditorium that is used for special performances.
The current New Haven High School was built in 1975 and opened in 1977. The building is located on a 24-acre (97,000 m2) property – the smallest amount of land of any school in its district. It cost approximately $7 million to build. The gym is a smaller version of the nearby Harding High School gym. The school was originally designed to accommodate 1500 students. Recently the school has had some modifications to classrooms to allow for different kinds of classes. Currently the school’s capacity is 1030. This is the first school in the district to have an elevator in it. The principal of the school when it opened was Paul Goeglein.